I dare assume we all have a little sin, something we love a lot, but better not come close. In the case of phenylketonuria, it is really very important to stay away from certain foods that you like a lot. There are all kinds of foods that I love, but are not allowed to eat. Yes, I tasted them, but I shouldn’t have 😛
One of those foods is chicken salad. However, it is really something that should not even exist in the vocabulary of phenylketonuria as it is very high in protein. It is still a shame because it is a very practical dish in addition to being relatively good for the health (for those who do not have phenylketonuria, of course).
I tried for a long time to copy the chicken salad, without success… until today! And to get there, to my surprise, I used something that I don’t usually like that much: the jackfruit (jackfruit).
I had promised this recipe a long time ago on social media. Here it is finally.
- 1 can young jackfruits (not in brine)
- 2 medium (140 g) celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium shallots (45 g), thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 small (5 g) clove garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons (3 g) dill (fresh or dried)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons (10 to 15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 / 4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- First rinse the jackfruit thoroughly, then shred it with a knife or with a food processor. I highly recommend that you do not take the jackfruit in brine as it is very difficult to shred. Some parts are very hard.
- Place the shredded jackfruit in a bowl and add the celery, shallots, mayonnaise and garlic. Mix.
- Stir in the dill and season with the lemon juice, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, adjusting amounts to taste after mixing.
- Mix again. It’s already ready!
This chicken salad is perfect for sandwiches or wraps. It will only take you a moment to prepare them.
Enjoy your meal!